HWA provides a "one stop shop" for its credit union clients and offers strategic, pragmatic, and cost-effective tactical guidance and legal advice concerning the broad scope of a credit union's organizational structure, regulators, products, services, and operations.
Our practice delivers expertise in:
- Account, Membership and Financial Institution Issues
- ADA Compliance Issues
- Directors Responsibilities and Liability
- Employment Issues
- Consumer and Business Lending
- Secured, unsecured, credit cards, direct and indirect
- Contact and Lease Negotiation and Drafting
- Real Estate/Mortgages
- Vender Due Diligence
- Corporate Governance
- Data Security
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Regulatory Compliance
- Collections and Foreclosures
- Creditor’s Rights in Probate
- Garnishments – defending and pursuing
- Sequestrations, Receiverships and Post-Judgment
- Litigation – Offensive and Defensive in state and federal court
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
We provide customized training for credit union employees, management and Board Members, with a strong focus on compliance with state and federal collection laws.
Our attorneys regularly attend industry conferences and committee meetings, speak on panels and author articles on current legal issues.
HWA was one of the first vendors to attend Houston Chapter of Credit Union monthly meetings as guest of Greg Storch, HTFFCU.
HWA attended the very first Credit Union for Kids/Memorial Hermann Children’s Hospital Fair at the original ARCO Credit Union site in Pasadena, Texas organized by Royce Phares.
HWA was one of the first creditor firms to participate in HACBA (Houston Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys) beginning in 1996, resulting in excellent and collegial relationships with Houston’s debtor attorney bar.
HWA has represented several credit unions over three generations of management change.
Houston Chapter of Credit Unions
Credit Unions for Kids-Memorial Hermann Children’s Hospital
Cornerstone Credit Union League
Magic Valley Chapter of Credit Unions