Steve Shurn began working at Hughes Watters Askanase as a summer law clerk in 1998. At the conclusion of the 1998 summer clerkship program, HWA offered Steve an opportunity to join the firm. After graduating from law school in 1999, Steve joined HWA as an associate in the firm's bankruptcy practice area. He was recognized for his competence and contributions to the firm by earning a position as partner in 2006, being one of the youngest persons to make partner in the firm's history.
Steve is certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Business Bankruptcy Law. Admitted to the State Bar of Texas in 1999, Steve is licensed to practice in all Texas federal district courts and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Steve focuses his practice on reorganization and workouts for businesses and individuals with complex problems. He also provides representation of secured creditors, representation of entities that seek to acquire assets out of bankruptcy cases, and representation in bankruptcy related litigation, often involving preferential and fraudulent transfers. In addition, he routinely represents Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 trustees.
- Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude, University of Houston, 1994
- Juris Doctorate, summa cum laude, South Texas College of Law, 1999
- Houston Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section (past chair, 2010-2011 chair; chair- elect, 2008-2009; vice chair, 2007-2008; treasurer, 2006-2007; director, 2005-2006)
- Inns of Court, 2005-2006
- Turnaround Management Association, 2003-2008
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer by Texas Monthly and Law and Politics magazines, 2013
- Named a Rising Star by Texas Monthly Magazine, 2004 through 2011
- Order of the Lytae
- South Texas Law Review, 1996-1999